Re: 30K service

On Jun 18,  1:36pm, Jeff Waldman wrote:
> Subject: 30K service
> Hello all,
>
> I am approaching the 30,000 mile mark. I was wondering what the
> typical cost of the 30K mile service is and what is usually done?
>  Anyone have any thoughts on Dealers in the Boston area particaularly
> Bernardi's in Natick, MA?

The dealer here (Durham, NC) told me my 30k mile service would be $350 one day
when I was there buying parts.  (I don't use the dealer for service.)  I let my
own mechanic (who ONLY works on VWs, Audi's, and Porsches) do the service.  He
charged $300, but did a little more than was called for (change the fuel
filter, lube the door hinges, buff out a scratch in my bumper! - this guy's
good!).

Anyway, the description of the 30k service in the Bentley's manual is:

Change oil and oil filter
Check engine coolant level, add if necessary
Check brake fluid level, add if necessary
Check power steering fluid, add if necessary
Engine:  inspect for fluid leaks
Battery:  check electrolyte level and add if necessary.  DO NOT attempt to
check
	or add fluid to a maintenance free battery.
V-belt:  check tension and condition, adjust or replace as necessary
Poly-ribbed drive belt:  check condition, adjust or replace as necessary
Spark plugs:  replace
Air cleaner:  replace (30k miles or every 2 years)
Tires and spare:  check condition and pressures
Rotate tires front to rear
Brake system:  check for damage and/or leaks; check pad thickness
Drive axle shafts:  check boots for tears, cracks or damage
Front axle:  check dust seals on ball joints and tie rod ends
Check ball joints and tie rod ends for play/wear
Manual transmission: check for leaks
Automatic transmission final drive:  check level, add if necessary
Automatic transmission:  check ATF level, add if necessary
Manual transmission:  check fluid, add if necessary
Exhaust system:  check for damage and/or leaks
Check operation of interior and exterior lights
Service reminder:  reset
On Board Diagnostic system:  check Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Memory with
	VAG1551 Scan tool and erase if necessary.
Automatic shift lock:  check operation including park/neutral position switch
Check A/T transmission kickdown, braking, steering, heating, ventilation, air
	conditioning, power accessories and electrical systems
Check engine idle speed

...I can't believe I sat here and typed all that.

Dave