Re: Newbie questions

John Darwak wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> After lurking for a while I finally did it - I bought a '97 GLX Sequoia
> Green/Biber Beige leather.  I have some general questions for all of you:

Congrats.  I have a black/black and my dad has one like yours.

> 1. Stone chips are a real problem here in Michigan. Although I generally
> dislike them, I am considering getting a bra/mask for the car. I am aware
> of the pitfalls of using them and mainly I would use it for longer
> drives,trips,etc. Any comments on this and what is the best brand and
> where would you buy one from?

I think these things are a good idea when used for trips (as you said).
We have the ones that are available from the dealer.  They may be more
expensive (I'm not sure) but they fit really well -- better than just
about any other bra I've seen.

> 2. Again with the stone chips, I was considering some type of film or
> plastic covers for the turn/fog lamps and the headlights. Anybody done
> this?

My dad has some of this stuff, but neither of us has used it yet.  It is
probably a good bet for the fogs and the headlights (as they are quite
expensive to replace) but the turn signals are just plastic.

> 3. Anybody replaced their stock headlights with more powerful ones? Is
> the factory relay strong enough or should you wire up a relay?

No experience here.  I really want to get some hella rounds, but someone
needs to make a grille for those with the Jetta hood.

> 4. Anybody take their rear wing off to make cleaning/waxing easier? Is
> this easy to do or is it a PITA?

This is so easy compared to my Saturn, I haven't even considered it.

> 5. I want a leather steering wheel. Anybody tried the sew-on leather kit
> from AGLA? Other ideas? I'm not giving up the airbag.

No experience here either.

> 6. To what degree do the much-maligned Eagle GA's contribute to that
> "floatiness" that I feel during turn-in. The car feels a little spooky
> and it makes me wonder how well the car will handle high speed emergency
> lane changes. Will this be reduced when I buy different tires?

I'm not sure.  I know exactly what you're talking about.  You get more
used to it, but its still a little spooky.  I plan on doing a suspension
upgrade to make it more like an A2 GLI or something (like it should be).

> Thanks,

yep

> John Darwak
> '97 Jetta GLX
> '85 BMW 325e/i (many mods...and For Sale)
> '94 Chev Blazer 4X4 (wife's)

Good luck

- -erik