Re: Mobil 1 Oil filter

At 10:23 AM 6/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Why on earth are you changing the break-in oil at 3k? I wouldn't until 7500
>miles.

BREAK IN OIL????  What is different about the oil they put in a BRAND NEW
car? Is it magic oil? I'd bet it's the same stuff you'll put in it for the
rest of it's life and therefore, I wouldn't think 7500 miles would be good
at all! In fact, the service manager at the dealership suggested I might
even change the original oil at 1000 miles.... then 3000.... then at the
factory paid for 5k servicing.... then 3K miles aver after. Well, I don't
think he was just trying to sell lots of service, oil and filters.... he's a
friend of mine.

I never heard of BREAK IN oil before!!!

>> From: TFP <tfp@tsil.net>
>> To: jettaglx@igtc.com
>> Subject: Re: Mobil 1 Oil filter
>> Date: Wednesday, June 11, 1997 7:37 PM
>> HEY FOLKS... I SURE AS HELL GLAD SOMEONE IS MAKING 3RD PARTY OIL FILTERS FOR
>> OUR VWs. WHEN MY NEW 1997 GLX HIT 3k MILES, I WENT TO CHANGE IT.  THE LOCAL
>> DEALERSHIP WHERE I BOUGHT THE CAR WANTED $18.95 EACH FOR THE CARTRIDGE!!! IF
>> I WERE SURE THERE WERE NO LADIES SUBSCRIBING TO THIS EMAIL LIST, I'D SAY
>> WHAT I TOLD THE PARTS CLERK... MILDLY, IT WAS LIKE:  "You'll see Jesus
>> before I pay $20 for a friggin' filter!!!" MY GOSH! I WAS TEMPTED TO USE
>> ROLL OF TOILET PAPER!!!
===                                                              ===
===       Thomas F. Peluso           Electronics Development     ===
===       Eaton Corporation          Technical & Quality Center  ===
===       170 Industry Drive         (412) 787-6500 - Ext. 6930  ===
===       Pittsburgh, PA 15275       (412) 787-6593 (fax)        ===
===                TPeluso@Elec_Lab.TechCtr.CH.ETN.COM           ===
===                     alternate addresses:                     ===
===         Thomas.Peluso@Industry.Net       TFP@tsil.net        ===
===     KF3V@W2XO.PA.USA.NOAM (packet)   FCC.EXAM@Industry.Net   ===
===       E-Mail for schedule of FCC Exam sessions for both      ===
===         FCC Commericial and Amateur Radio Licensing.         ===
===         HOMEPAGE ADDRESS = http://www.tsil.net/~tfp          ===