Hello and help!

Hey everyone,  My name is Mike and I currently own a 1995 Jetta GLX with
approximately 60K miles and I am experiencing stalling problems after
high speed/highway runs. Anytime I come to an immediate stop after the
highway run the engine will idle high - anywhere from 750 - 1500 rpm -
for several seconds, then it will often stall.  I took it to my local
dealer where they diagnosed a bad Engine Speed Sensor (G28) from the
fault codes stored.  The sensor was replaced and yet the stalling
continues.  At this point I have not gotten my car back to the dealer
for further troubleshooting.  I purchased a Bentley service manual for
the car ( I would recommend this to any VW owner ) and according to it
the car shouldn't even start with a bad engine speed sensor!  Also, I
determined the original sensor was good according to the troubleshooting
steps in the Bentley manual.  So, I don't know what my dealer was
thinking.  Or is my manual wrong?  Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about
this problem, please let me know.  In addition, if anyone knows of any
VW clubs in the upstate NY area, I would be interested.  Thanks!  - Mike