Re: Hello and help!

On Jul 10,  8:47am, Michael J. Saccucci wrote:
> Subject: Hello and help!
> Hey everyone,  My name is Mike and I currently own a 1995 Jetta GLX with
> approximately 60K miles and I am experiencing stalling problems after
> high speed/highway runs. Anytime I come to an immediate stop after the
> highway run the engine will idle high - anywhere from 750 - 1500 rpm -
> for several seconds, then it will often stall.

OK, This is just a guess, not from any experience that I've had with VW's, but
just knowing what I know about cars in general....

Would it be possible that your EGR valve is sticking open?  On some cars, when
they're idling, you can open up the EGR valve with your hands.  And when you
do, the car stalls.  (Unfortunately, I don't think you can do that on the
GLX's.)

The EGR valve is supposed to open at higher engine speeds, to let some inert
exhaust gasses into the intake, to cool combustion temperatures, to reduce NOx
emissions.  So, maybe while you're cruising at highways speeds, the EGR valve
is open (like it's supposed to be), and everything is fine.  But when you stop,
and the engine speed goes to idle, the EGR valve should shut off.  Maybe if
it's staying open, that's causing it do stall?  This could be a problem with
either the EGR valve itself, or the EGR solenoid, which controls the amount of
vacuum to the valve, allowing it to open/close.

Your Bentley's manual should have some info about this...

Like I said:  Just a guess!

Dave
anderson@msai.mea.com