Re: Annoying Rattle

Hi Andy!

The noise I'm hearing is more like a "clunk" that indicates something is
loose.  Either the shock absorber is sligthly coming off it's perch or
maybe a power window motor (on the rear passenger side) hitting the door
frame.  It's coming from somewhere near the gas tank.  You think it's the
strut bearing?  Wouldn't the noise come from the front then?  You think
it's the doppler effect that is fooling me into thinking that it's coming
from the rear?

I don't know if it is just me but I think my suspension has gone bad.  On
the front I can hear "squishy" sounds coming from struts when I hit bumps.
It sounds like air is being let out of a valve.  I also think that the car
us a lot noisier over bumps now.  I wonder which suspension package I
should go for.  All you VR6 owners in Chicago with suspension mods speak
up!

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997 ANDREW_ATWELL@HP-PaloAlto-om20.om.hp.com wrote:

>      I think I have the same rattle that you are discribing and I don't
>      think that we are alone.  My plan this week is to go over the whole
>      rear end with a grease gun and a can of WD40.  I have a feeling it is
>      the strut bearing, so I will make sure that it is tight (it's come
>      loose before).  Have you changed your suspension?
>         I'm curious to hear how you like the exhaust and if it gives you
>      any gains.  I have the Q-chip and have been very happy with it.  Which
>      motor ECU do you have?  The serial number should have two letters
>      following it.  What are the letters?  To get rid of the wax I would
>      try a firm but soft brush to scrub it out.
>      andy

Yeah I can't wait to get it.  I wonder if Autotech can map me a chip based
on my Airbox mod and Autotech exhaust.  Do they map their chips based on a
stock car?  As far as the ECU number, I got my GLX in 5/16 and I have yet
to take the chip out.  Maybe I'll practice on that this weekend.  I'll
keep you guys posted on my exhaust after I get it installed.  I heard this
kid's GTI which had one on it and it sounded awesome.  I had to get it
after that...

- --Jay
96 Windsor Blue GLX