Re: strut and sturt bushing failure.

Re my struts: they move a lot. The whole assembly, incl. the "cap"
to which the top of the strut screws and the bushing itself move side
to side, up and down. I jacked the car up on the passenger side and,
after the wheel was off the ground, it spontaneously dropped down
1/2 inch or so. With the car still jacked up, I lifted the wheel,
still attached to the car, and saw the top of the strut assembly lift
up, too. The top of the strut assembly, the part you can see in the
engine bay, moves approximately 1/2 inch from side to side or up and
down with less than 30 lbs of force, with the wheel suspended off the
ground.

I can't believe this is normal. No offense, but you sound like a
service manager saying "They all do that!"