Re: VR6 whine

From: Mitch <mitchman@owt.com>

>My '97 also whine but I think it's in the engine

This topic was covered on the GTI VR6 list a while back.  The concensus was
that it is the auxiliary air pump that whines on a cold start.  The change
in pitch with engine speed threw me off a little because I figured that an
electric pump would operate at a constant speed (I thougth it was my power
steering pump).  I guess it makes sense that the pump would need to match
its speed to the engine rpms since more exhaust gas would need more air.  I
think the purpose of the pump is to reduce cold start emmissions and to help
the cats "light up" quicker.
Maybe one of the mornings I'll pop the hood and listen

>1. Should I wait till the car warms up and the whine goes away before I
>drive it?

I don't.

Chris