suspension noises -Reply

>Here's what happens: whenever I in my '95 GLX (approx. 49k miles) hit
>a large pothole (and don't tell me not to hit any potholes, all you
>wisenheimers), I hear a terrible crash from the passenger-side front
>wheel area

I remember the sound you are describing.  On my 95 GLX, it came from
the rear passenger side wheel.  The service was never able to
reproduce it or diagnose a problem (surprise, surprise!).  Mine did not
have squeaking, but few loaners I drove in the past squeaked like crazy
(passenger-side front wheel area).

>Also, I read somewhere that VW tweaked the factory GLX
>suspensions in  '96 to eliminate some of the float in the '94 and '95
>GLXes. Truth or fiction? Thanks, y'all.

VW replaced my 95 GLX with a 96 model (which has been, to most part,
PERFECT so far - 36K), so I can judge the difference first-hand.  I don't
know exactly what they did to 96 model, but there is noticeably less
body roll and floating.  Suspension could be even stiffer, as far as I am
concerned, but that may be a matter of taste.

Vojin