suspension noises

Fellow GLX owners:
I know there have been a number of posts re loud noises or thumps or
crashes from various subscribers' suspensions. I can't figure out my
particular problem, though.  Here's what happens: whenever I in my
'95 GLX (approx. 49k miles) hit a large pothole (and don't tell me
not to hit any potholes, all you wisenheimers), I hear a terrible
crash from the passenger-side front wheel area, like I have hit the
subframe/suspension on a curb, or like the strut is bottoming out.
Also, lately it has been cold (for here, "cold" is 40 - 50 degrees
F), and the passenger-side front suspension creaks like crazy going
over, say, a rise or a dip in the road. Are these two connected? Any
ideas?
Also, I read somewhere that VW tweaked the factory GLX suspensions in
'96 to eliminate some of the float in the '94 and '95 GLXes. Truth or
fiction? Thanks, y'all.

Jonathan W. Thames
Montgomery, Barnett, Brown, Read, Hammond & Mintz, L.L.P.
3200 Energy Centre
1100 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA 70130-3200
504-585-3200