Re: I know this has been posted before.. But just for laughs..

At 12:43 AM 12/6/97 -0700, you wrote:

>http://icse2.ucsd.edu/~bmhong/riceboy/

 . . . .as we cast stones from our glass house.  I don't think we will fool
anyone either.  The Jetta IS an economy car.  The VW engineers have just
done a really good job in making it better.
	If you have the means, check out the Dec. '96 issue of Motor Trend.  They
took eight standard sedans, and let the aftermarket tuners go at them.  The
models were the Honda Civic ES, VW Jetta GLX, Mazda 626, Nissan Maxima,
Ford Taurus SHO, Olds Aurora, BMW 528, and a Mercedes E 420.
	The Civic did score dead last in accceleration tests.  Its engine mods
were only a better intake and exhaust.  The GLX had a Schrick manifold,
P-chip, Neuspeed camshafts, and a K& N filter.
	The Civic did surprise many, though.  Outfitted with Neuspeed springs,
stiffer anti-roll bars and wider tires, it came in FIRST in stopping, had
the highest slalom speed and had a 1 second better lap time than the Jetta
at the Willow Springs course. The Jetta had an almost vitually identical
Neuspeed suspension and wheel/tire setup.
	 . . . and yes, the Civic tested had a big windshield sticker, and a big
goofy wing on the back.
It has light weight and nimbleness on its side, even if it does have a
mouse motor and is silly looking.