Re: Sound system and alarm advice

> Hi,
> I have a jetta GLX purchased 3/97.  I have the premium sound system (ie
> tape deck) and the alarm that
> comes with the car (not the keyless entry)  My questions to the group
> are these:
> 1) What CD system either new sound system or changer should I get?  I
> want one that is not too expensive.
> 2) If I want to have keyless entry do I need to buy a new alarm?  Can I
> just get a keyless system and integrate
> it into the existing system?  The dealer price seems high.
> Thanks in advance for the advice
> Dan

1) If I'm not mistaken, a Clarion changer will work with your stock
system.(The model # is a 600 series) For hookup it will also involve
plugging an adapter into the back of the head unit. My GLX has the Bose
system and I have read here that a $99 Panasonic changer will work, so
look around.
2) I also wanted keyless entry and I felt a little insecure about the
stock 'alarm system'. I had a friend install an Alpine 8058 alarm that
works WITH the factory alarm. He works at a car audio shop and before
installation he was able to obtain wiring diagrams for the car that made
installation a snap.
Benefits:
* Insurance discount (shock sensor, motion detector)
* Keyless entry and remote trunk opening
* Due to integration, I am able to arm BOTH alarms with Alpine remote;
or
* I can use the key and arm ONLY the factory alarm
* You can also set it up to close the windows and sunroof by remote.

Now I have a friend who has a Cabrio. She did have an aftermarket
keyless entry system installed (identical to factory). I believe that it
is a Clifford. She did have to go back a couple of times though:
1) Front parking lights flashed when arming, rear lights didn't
2) Doors locked with ignition on, but switch on dash would not unlock
doors unless ignition was off
Everything is working fine now. (She elected not to buy the add on relay
that would roll up the windows when arming.)

Last bit of advice:
Be sure that you go to a reputable place familar with VWs, or else you
may be making return trips to get things fixed.

Sorry so long winded, but I hope this helps you out.
Bri
97 GLX
Blk\Blk Leather