break in period

I wanted to add this to my last message.

  I was wondering about the breaking period for my new GLX.

  I read what the manual has to say, and I have been following it to a
tee.  I was wondering though.  How much truth is there to what the
manual says?  Is it better to drive it easy from now till 1,500 miles or
should I drive it know like I plan to later.  I don't want the engine to
learn that I am going to baby it.  I do plan on having fun in this car.
I am not going to kill it, but I want to get some performance out of it
now and then.
  What do you all think?
  Thanks,
  Jeremy B.