Re: ABS on a '97 (again)

On 11/30/97 6:04PM, in message <34821B3B.506BFC81@erinet.com>, posaune
<leah@erinet.com> wrote:

> I am visiting my girlfriend about ten hours from home and my ABS light went
> on.  Then it went off for two days -- and now its on again.  So the question
> is, whats the problem.  I want to get this fixed as soon as I get home, so
> any and all replies would be greatly appreciated.  I am still under warranty
> and I KNOW the idiots at my dealer are going to give me the runaround so I
> just want to know what is going on before I go to them.

Painful memories!!  I went through FOUR dealer visits to get this resolved.. one "no
trouble found", one where they picked up a fault code pointing to the ABS hydraulic
pump, which they replaced - this kept the light off for less than 5 miles (!!).. finally the
last time I INSISTED that they get permission to replace the ABS control module (p/n
3A0-907-379-C) after reading that several other list members had been through the
same BS and had only gotten it resolved by replacing this part.  Well, they didn't want
to do it at first, but finally said that they got VW to allow them to do it, basically
because they'd tried everything else already and not found a problem.  As with the
others, this FIXED the problem once and for all for me.  I find it difficult to believe, with
as many times as this has been reported amongst our relatively small little audience
here, that VW can't be aware of this as being a problem area and have a tech bulletin
out on it.  My dealer insists that VWoA had no idea that this was a problem area..
maybe that's changed by now.

Print this message and take it with you.. and tell your service manager that if he wants
about a dozen more messages from people with stories about the same problem, I'd
be happy to forward those too.. all of which were resolved by replacing this same part.

Good luck!

- --
Kevin Collins
collinsk@pacbell.net