door squeaks and air leaks (long)

To all my friends at Jetta GLX I have the following comments that pertain
to some if not all of you. I have been a subscriber of this list for about
two weeks and fully enjoy reading all the letters. There has been an
ongoing discussion about door rattles and air leaks. Some off you have been
blown off by the dealer and some have had success by going thru VWOA. I
have uploaded with success to Mark. Hopefully soon everyone can download
copies. It is my opinion that these problems SHOULD and MUST be covered
under warranty. In the VW Warranty Policy Guidebook (Revision 3/97) Which
EVERY VW must have in Article 1 page 10 under "What is Covered" It mentions
that defects in workmanship are covered. I would like someone from another
VW dealership that is not covering  these complaints explain to be "How can
they be considered maintenance items" Show me in the maintenance book what
the required maintenance is on a Door? There is none except lubricating the
hinge. What is the required maintenance on a trim panel? None. If I were
you I would take the car back and quote the page I listed. These are
defects in Workmanship. VW knows about it and so do all the VW dealers. We
all get the same TSB's, We all have access to the VWOA Tech line. I know
that VW warranty reimbursement is very cheap. Body complaint problems are
very time intensive and the VW dealers that want to make a buck will always
use "Not covered after 12/12,000 mile" excuse to blow people out. This
doesn't happen at all the dealers. I know mine especially will cover
everything up to and way beyond. We are even replacing GLX,GTI clutches
that are smoked because off abuse.

I began an apprenticeship in 1974 with 3 fantastic VW trained German
craftsmen. Fritz,Bruno and Wilfred. Wilfred was the engine rebuilder and
Wow the stuff he could do to a air cooled engine with normal hand tools.
(Even the stories about the Eastern Front and the Battle of the Bulge were
great, since he was a Panzer driver.) During that time I learned how to fix
a VW from front to back. I have carried this training all thru my career
and still use some of their tips today.

When I became Service Director in a VW dealership I was told by the Dealer
Principal that since we only sell 30 VW a month we have to give everyone
the best service. Because if we loose 1 customer we know only have 29. VW
dealers are not like Domestic houses that sell 300 cars a month and could
care less.

This is why I feel the way I do.

Things to do if the dealer still bucks.

Contact VWOA and register a complaint. Some if all states have a "Lemon
Law" and tell them you are building a case against VW because of defects in
workmanship that are not being addressed.

Every visit to a dealer you should receive a phone call from VW. Make sure
you give a very negative response.

After ever call the dealer is faxed a copy of your reply. The dealers are
all Very Concerned about CSI rating and a good rating means more perks for
the dealership. MONEY. I know because every quarter I get my CSI Money.

Remember if you are not satisfied with any repairs remember this "Keep
Calling VWOA" and registering complaints. The dealer will get the message.

Sorry to ramble.

Don