Re: VW door noise/Indicators/Screws loose/NO LOCKING GAS PIN!

At 2:59 PM -0500 8/11/97, S. Joseph Mann wrote:
>Guys,
>
>(Don, help me on this one)
>
>I'm pretty confident we are speaking about two totally different noises.
>
>The first one would most likely be coming from the door's rubber seal
>between it and the body. You can see it along the outer frame of the
>door when it's open. This noise, generated by the door and the body of
>the car rubbing against each other, should one: only be heard when the
>door is shut, and two: most likely only when the body is flexing while
>the car is moving.
>
>The second noise/squeak (and my current nightmare) comes from the
>plastic interior door panel rubbing against the body of the door. This
>noise should be reproducible when the door is both open and closed and
>the car is in motion or still. But, should NOT be heard when the door is
>not being touched, whether the car is in motion or still. If this is the
>case you "should" be able to recreate the sound by pressing on the the
>armrest of the door with your elbow or the heel of you hand.
>
>On my 95 GLX I can easily recreate the noise on both front doors by
>pressing on the trailing end of the armrest with the heal of my hand
>when the door in open, or with the door closed by gripping the door
>handle with my arm resting on the arm rest and pressing down with my
>elbow. IT'S VERY FRICKING ANNOYING AND I CAN'T GET MY DEALER OR VoA TO
>FIX IT UNDER MY 2 YEAR WARRANTY!!!  Ok, enough whining.
>
>I hope this clears up any confusion about the two different problems.
>Maybe we could refer to them as A) the "door frame seal" noise/squeak
>and B) the "interior door trim panel" noise/squeak  OK, call me anal!

I'm nearing 5,000 miles on my 97 GLX, and when I take it in for the oil
change, I want them to fix as many strange issues as possible

1. The hi-beam indicator went out (doesn't light)
2. There was a screw just hanging out (not screwed in) right near the front
passenger seat
3. I didn't get a locking GAS CAP?!?! What the HECK? [my friend who drives
a Corrado has a pin that automatically locks it when the car is locked, and
unlocks it when the driver door is unlocked-- cool feature, mine doesn't
have it!?!? GRR! This should be STANDARD!]
4. The rubber end cap for the fold down rear seat- one of them seemed to
have come off. Flimsy little thing.
5. The squeaking doors. Sounds like there are a bunch of crickets in the
back seat when you're driving around town.

So, HOW DO YOU FIX THE CREAKING CRICKETS IF THE DEALER SAYS "LIVE WITH IT!"

:-)

- -Khan

>ANDREW_ATWELL@HP-PaloAlto-om20.om.hp.com wrote:
>
>> Item Subject: VW door noise
>>      I too had that nerve grating squeak for a long long time.  I
>> thought
>>      (and my dealer thought) that it was my after market suspension
>> (SPAX)
>>      all this time.  But thanks to an e-mail posted (I can't remember
>> from
>>      who) I have adjusted my door lock post (2 screws T40 Torx head)
>> about
>>      1/8th inches in and down to line up the door with the roof and
>> body
>>      (how did this ever unline it's self?) and now the squeak is
>> gone!!!!
>>      Thanks a million!!!  I would highly suggest that anyone with this
>>
>>      squeak to carefull look at their doors and try adjusting them
>> with a
>>      T40 Torx driver.
>>      andy

Khan Klatt					   khan@pacificrim.net
Applications Director,				    (360) 650-0442 x13
Pacific Rim Network, Inc.		     http://www.pacificrim.net
                                                   http://www.khan.org

       A member of the VERIO group of Internet Service Providers