Re: VR6 Engine Check Light

Message text written by INTERNET:jettaglx@igtc.COM
>I have the same problem on my '95 GLX and gave up on trying to solve it.=
 =

The car seems to run just fine, there must be a bug in the system.  Let m=
know if you get any results.<

The dealer replaced the ECM (computer) yesterday. Apparently newer models=

of the computer contain improved algorithms that are better able to
distinguish between real engine knock and flase alarms. My guess is that
this problem has nothing to do with the computer, but in replacing the
computer enough wires might be jiggled that the intermittent disconnectio=
goes away.

Perhaps you shouldn't give up on the problem. A car whose engine check
light keeps coming on is practically unsellable. Also,  some engine check=

faults put the engine in "safe mode" - ie timing is permanently retarded.=

Lemon laws in most states force the dealer to fix the problem or compensa=
te
the owner (with a new car ?).