Re: Treffen Updates/Reports?

Alright here is the skinny:

A group of us convoyed down to the TREFFEN on Friday afternoon. The group
started in Minnesota, stopped in Madison, Wisconsin to pick up Michelle
(from New Dimensions) and her husband, then down to Rockford, IL to pick up
more people then stopped in the Chicago suburbs where a group of us from
CVO hooked up with them. There were four GTI's, three Corrados, and a Jetta
GLX.

Traffic sucked around Chicago, but once we got on the Indiana Toll Road
YOW! That is one nice piece of highway. Glass smooth with little traffic.
At some point we lost Michelle (her husband said something about doing
95mph trying to catch up... they didn't).

Anyway, we hooked up with Chris and Charles Collier and a whole slew of
people from the GTI and Corrado lists plus others. We hung out on Friday
night at the hotel and had a good time talking VW's. There were some really
impressive cars in the group.

The day of the event went very well. TireRack's facilities are pretty huge.
Plus the AM General Plant is right next door (the people that make
HUMMERS). We had about 45 cars enter the show and more than that came to
look as well - over 200 people. There were a lot of great cars that turned
out and New Dimensions did a fantastic job in helping us (CVO) organize the
event. Michelle gets a huge pat on the back. Plus, they discounted some
items pretty heavy duty. Definately worth coming just for that! Their sale
looked like it did real well- their tent was busy ALL day.

The TireRack held tech sessions on wheel and tire technologies that were
very informative, plus they're facilities and wheel showroom is first
class. There were a lot of VW owners with their jaws on the floor in that
showroom.

It was really great to finally meet so many people that we have talked to
on the net. All and all it was a great turn out for a first event and New
Dimensions and TireRack have already talked to us about next year. Possibly
a driving event and a few other things...  stay tuned  :)

The ride home was quite an adventure. There was really large group of
GTI's, Corrado's and GLX's. Eventually four of us pulled ahead. Let's just
say this: when we got on the tollway they give you a ticket with an exit
number and a time on it. When we got to the end of the tollroad we had
covered 62 miles in 35 minutes...

So, we expect next year to be a raging success. There will be much more
added to the TREFFEN and it may be a two day event. With New Dimensions and
TireRack supporting it, it has the makings of quite an event. See you all
at TREFFEN '98!

Waterfest? What's that....   :)

- -jamie

P.S.  I'll let ya know when we have pictures up to look at.