Re: Volkswagen sob stories (was)My '97 GLX joke (a long ta

>> Unless this is a definite miss, I think this is a "characteristic"

>      The rough idle was quite erratic, between 900rpm and 450rpm. as it
>      turned out there was a connection to the battery that had arced,
>      corroded, over heated, melted and over gone bad that caused a 1 volt

>      drop in voltage to the ECM causing it to run incorrectly, and
de-tune
>      the car, ie. milage drop, power loss, sparkplug fouling, knocking,
>      etc.  once the wire end was cut off,and a new one solidered on the
car
>      has been fine, but the plugs had to be replaced.
>      andy

Yup, I'd say that is a definite miss you had there!
My Passat had a bad miss when I took delivery.  Little did I know that VW
had apparently slipped me an preproduction version of the upcoming VR5 (and
I thought something was wrong), they just forgot to remove that extra
cylinder - doh!  I should have felt honored (as we all should) to be
included in the development process of their products.  How stupid of me.
It ended up being a plug wire. Surprise surprise.
Oh, and that "characteristic" lopey idle was just all them ponies and torks
just aching to be set free.  How stupid of me again.  I didn't know my car
was supposed to idle like a hopped up '65 GTO.
But I loved the car anyway...

- -Chris