Oil Changes

Thanks for the information - I can see the financial benefit/incentive for
the quick lube rational....technology differences etc...

Guerra
> Why is that a VW Jetta needs an oil change only at the 5000 mark while
other
> vehicles suggest 3k?  Anyone?

Actually, I think VW suggests that 7500 miles between oil changes is
sufficient.  And most cars you buy these days will likewise suggest an
oil-change-interval much greater than the traditional 3k mark.  The 3000-mile
oil change originated back when oil was much less advanced than it is now.
 These days, oil can suspend many more contaminants, resist corrosion and
oxidation, and basically doesn't wear out.  Plus, engines are much more
advanced, run a lot cleaner, and can go much longer without as much
maintenance.

Oil companies and quik-lube places still want people to get their oil changed
as often as possible -- that's how they make money!  ...If your car is older,
or you drive in extreme conditions, it may be worth it, but in most cases
(with
newer cars), probably not.

I usually go about 5k miles between changes, just because it's easier to
remember that way.  "40k miles, 45k miles, 50k miles, 55k miles, etc..."

David
anderson@msai.mea.com