Re: Oil Changes

Noel,

This subject has been beat to death many times. Some say wait till
5000, 7500. While others say 3000. The reason is that some claim that
VW uses a special break-in oil in their engines and if you change
the oil too early then the rings won't seat. Others say that in modern
engines of today the rings seat after only a couple hundred miles.

Who is correct? I'm not sure. You just need to do what makes you feel
comfortable. I changed the oil in my 96 Passat GLX at 2500 miles
to synthetic and have experienced no ill effects. With my 97 Jetta GLX
I'm going to wait till 5000. Only because VW has shortened the change
interval and the oil change is free. I didn't want to wait for 7500 on
the Passat. I believe 7500 is too long. But that is just my opinion.

So if you are looking for a recommendation, here it is: Wait till
5000 then change it as often as you like. :)

Dave
[Opinions are like a**holes]