Re: Noises...

At , you wrote:

>I know we've talked about rattles before, but I thought I would reopen the
>discussion and address the specific squeaks that I'm having.
>
>First - My sunroof is a mess.  It makes a ton of noise from several of its
>various parts.  The predominant rattle sounds like a tinny, metal-on-metal,
>noise maker that goes off over the slightest bump.  The dealers have all
>punted by responding with the now famous "could not reproduce" line.  Have
>you guys had any experience with this?  Better yet, has anyone actually had
>the problem fixed?

I have this problem and the dealer has figured out what it is, the bow that
supports the roof is no longer attached to the sheet metal of the roof.  I
am fighting with VWof a to get this fixed as it war originally reported
under warranty and I got one of the famous "unable to reproduce" solutions.

>Second - I know we've talked about this one, but, even after using the
>couple of suggestions thrown out in this group, I still have a rattle that
>comes from somewhere in the rear of the car.  It happens most often when the
>car is cold and I'm making a turn of some kind.  I'm thinking rear suspension
>- any other ideas?
>
>Third - I occasionally get a humming from the rear of the car that is pretty
>loud and definetly not right.  I'm thinking internal fuel pump... Anyone else
>heard this one?  It seems to come and go based on fuel quality, if that makes
>any sense...
>
>And Finally - This isn't a noise, but my fuel gauge is intermitently (sp?)
>on the fritz.  It will indicate low or empty even though the tank is full
>(for example).  Often when this happens, the gauge will creep up to halfway
>from empty during the course of my drive.  Any ideas or similar experiences?'

Do you leave the key on when you fill the car?  This plays havoc with my
gauge and the dealer says it's not a bug, it's supposed to happen this way.
 I also had my inst. cluster replaced 3 times for a bad temp gauge but
eventually they discovered a loose wire.

>Sorry to vent my problems - I'm hoping to hear that others share my pain...
>:-)
>
>- JC

I understand the venting, my car made 28 trips to the dealer in the first
year, after two years, it seems to be getting better.

 -al
 95 GLX aka the Black Cloud