Pamona CA Battle of the imports.

Portions copied from a post to the GTI-VR6 list.....

Hey GLXers!

Well, even tho I wasn't feeling well all weekend I did trek out to
Pamona to see the car show and I took a few pictures of some clean
machines.  The 4 different Jettas on hand were pretty cool. Of course
for every VW there were 8 other "imports" of Japanese origin, but such
is SoCal.

A sweet red Jetta 2.0l had the euro golf hood, headlamps and the rounder
looking light masks. He also had the Euro bumper covers, and the
toughest looking de-baged front end I've seen yet. Even cooler than my
Autobahn Grille yet similar. All the air intakes were covered in an
aluminized steel "hole-punched" looking mesh. Very cool. And very clean
looking. I'll be next to bite on this look somewhat if I can find that
material.

        Two other Jettas had lighting mods. A white one with quads and
the Transforma grille (some fitment problems but clean enough?) I think
it looks kinda lame, but the rest of this car looks pretty awesome. This
2.0l had a "NICE" engine bay with a chromey looking manifold with a
carbonlook cover and red plugwires and hoses everywhere and a redfilter.
Also a sweet chromed strut tower brace! He also had the Wings West
$599.00 special 4 piece body kit for Jettas and Despite how lame it may
look in the ad it actually looked Very clean and well done up close and
now I want one damnit! Speaking of that ad, I think this is the same car
only now it has the Quads and sport mirrors upgrades.

 Ken's Black/white GLXtasy was there with the BMW headlights. Only a
photo will explain this one. I saw it up close and I'm still a little
confused. His Stillen Brake discs were nice. The in.pro interior stuff
in silver and the purple guage faces were cool too. Nice work. Although
he may have been the only Jetta VR6 there, besides mine parked out with
the wannabe's. There was another Jetta 2.0l most notable for it's 10
disk Changer where the Airbag was NOT and the three Sony amps lining the
space under the rear seat. WHAT? All these cars as well as the 2 golfs
present had at least 16" if not 17" wheels and this looks totally cool
of course. Hock-R's, Stealths, Arrows, and Chromed Hockenheim R's.

        As for the drag racing (see countless CRX and Civic and Integra
dorks) there were a couple of surprises. There were two BADD ASS VW bugs
that kicked ass! one run was UNDER 12!!!!? NO LIE! And the other run
under 12 that I saw was a PINTO!!!!!! Again no lie! How the pinto
qualified as an import was my only question.

         All the Japanese cars (that I saw briefly) were in the 12's to
13's at best when they weren't missing second and popping filters and
other parts onto the strip. There were at least two RX7's (the NEW ones)
and they got the shit kicked out of them by everyone.

 I was thinking about those Dragster beetles all day. Two foot exhausts
sticking stright and low off the back like tails. Unbelievable.

 -HELS