Re: Bigger Wheels?

On Apr 7,  3:38pm, mitch@eagletest.com wrote:
> Subject: Bigger Wheels?
> TO: jettaglx@igtc.com
>

> I have not seen to much talk about people putting lager wheels on their
> GLXs. A lot of suspension talk, but not much about wheels. I have been
> thinking about putting some larger wheels on my GLX. Currently I have the
> stock 15 inch rims. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with
> putting on 16 or 17 inch rims? Are there fitting issues that I should be
> aware of? Will a '96 GLX be able to handle 17 inch wheels? If so, are
> there any specific makes that you would recommend? Does a bigger wheel
> screw up the speedometer and odometer? If so, how much.

I'm looking for wheels as well.  I think I'm going with 16" wheels, just b/c
17" wheels would be too expensive.  I'm looking at ABT and Oettinger, which are
expensive anyway.  Your speedometer and odometer won't lose much accuracy, if
you go to a lower profile tire.  Most conversions I've seen are as follows:
 Stock is 15" with 205/50's.  16" usually uses 205/45's.  And 17" can use
205/40's.  The difference in your speedo going to 16" is minimal.  With the 15"
setup, your wheels make 874 revolutions per mile.  With the 16" setup, they
make 866 revolutions per mile.  With the 17" setup, they make 860 revolutions
per mile.  So, if your speedo reads 70mph with the 15" setup, it'll read
69.4mph with the 16" seutp, and 68.9mph with the 17" setup -- that's well
within spec.  (Note that these numbers are only good for the tire sizes
mentioned.)

If you go to a wider tire than the 205's you may have some rubbing problems.
 Most people I've heard of using 215's have no problems, but anything larger
could, especially if you change the suspension.

In european car, with their Project GLX, they use a 16" setup.  I think that's
because the lower the profile tire you use, the more harsh the ride becomes
(generally speaking).  And 40-series tires are sometimes way to harsh for some
people.  Although, ec claims that with the 45-series tires and the 16" wheels,
using Pirelli P-Zero's, the ride was actually better than the stock 50-series
Eagle GA's.

Sorry if that was long-winded!

David
anderson@msai.mea.com