Re: GLX experiences

> From igtc.COM!owner-jettaglx Wed Apr  2 22:07:31 1997
> >
> >I bought a '96 GLX last August, and have enjoyed it tremendously.
> >Just one problem and a few questions:  In December the fan motor
> >burned out and was replaced under warranty. Done. Initially I thought
> >there was a problem with the brakes, as there is often a horrible
> >grinding noise when I first apply the brakes, and sometimes this is
> >accompanied by a squeak or squeal.  After driving and using the brakes
> >for a while, the squeak disappears, but there is still a grinding
> >sound, less horrible, but still noticeable. One dealer mechanic
> >checked the system and said he could find nothing amiss;  another
> >mechanic at another dealer said that there have been reports of noisy
> >brakes, and VW has even put out a tech report on this and has offered
> >to apply "sound dampeners" to the brakes.  Has anyone had similar
> >experience and has anyone had the sound dampeners installed?  If so,
> >do they work?
> >
> >One more question: Are alignment problems common with the GLX?  I have
> >a friend who had a Passat that went out of alignment way too often. As
> >of February (9000 miles) my car was veering to the right on flat,
> >smooth roads.  The car also pulls to the right on hard accelerations
> >-- a service manager said that's because the right wheel is the drive
> >wheel.  Should this be happening?
> >
> >I'd appreciate any thoughts, insights, and suggestions about these
> >issues.  Overall, I love the car!

I posted before about this problem but I couldn't remember what they had to
change to fix my brakes.  But now that you have mentioned it, my dealer put
"sound dampeners" to fix the problem with my squeling brakes.  Haven't heard
any noises with my brakes since.  Also, I've had my GLX for 11 months now and
the alignment is good.

Jay
Jay Chulani				Voice: (630) 378-6995
Tellabs Inc.				Email: jchulani@tellabs.com