Say It Ain't So, Joe

Just finished watching the Phoenix - Denver game.

Well, that timid/tentative/soft/passive Joe Johnson -- you know, the kid that
Wallace screwed up first by drafting and then screwed up again by trading
(which is it???  Put me clearly in the camp of the latter) -- did it tonight.

He broke an NBA record that has stood intact for 33 years and held by none
other than John Havlicek:

Tonight marked his 31st consecutive game of playing 40+ minutes.

Man he looks so good out there now it is amazing. Smooth as smooth can be. He
makes it look almost too easy the way he handles the rock and makes the
proper decisions on the break, makes beautiful passes, etc.

And the shooting stroke is looking so sweet too. That ' 3-ball from the
corner ' shot is almost an effortless flick now. Richard Jefferson or Joe on this
team? Gimme Joe. He can do so much more offensively plus he can create for his
teammates -- something that Jefferson can't -- and his D doesn't get near the
credit it deserves. Jiri Welsch is a nice player with similar skills and a
similar game but right now I'd take JJ over Jiri or Jefferson, hands down.

Moving on, as I watched the game, I also envisioned some players in that game
as potential replacements on next year's team if Blount leaves and if Hunter
is traded or left unprotected and selected by Charlotte in the expansion
draft.

Marcus Camby would be a PERFECT replacement (and upgrade) over Blount; ditto
Donnell Harvey for Brandon Hunter; and Rodney White for Walter. IIRC, all
three are FA. Ainge would be well served to pursue one or more of those,
especially Camby in a sign and trade and Harvey outright with exception money.

And I don't know Vo Leonard's contractual status but coming off the bench as
the designated long range shooter would be quite an addition as well.

CeltsSteve

"Turn Ricky Loose!"