Re: The Master

At 09:29 PM 3/24/2004, Theresa Mostaffa wrote:
If I recall correctly, Mihm has already been to Pete Newell's camp twice.

Mmmm, I checked after reading that and he's listed among the alumni. So much for that idea, or else maybe he needs to make it an annual event for a while.

... I didn't see Mihm much in Cleveland, but I saw him a lot in college. He had a very nice post up game, albeit usually against smaller defenders, but he also was very good facing the basket. He had a very reliable shot from about 15 feet in. That's what is so confusing to me. I know the pro game is different, but that's not a skill you would think someone would lose in the transition from one level to another. Maybe it's simply a matter of losing confidence in his shot and being afraid to take it?

Yeah, I've been surprised at how bad his jump shot has looked, since I remember someone saying that he had a nice short range jumper when we traded for him. As you say, you don't expect him to lose the skill, even if he's in a slump on the shots falling. But he's looked really bad, like he has no business taking them. Confidence might do it, but since you recall him from college - has he maybe had a significant growth spurt since then? Some guys do, and dealing with a new body can really change things. That could also contribute to the awkward flailing style that gets him so many fouls.

Anyway, I think his problem right now is much more on the defensive end of the court. He is too slow to react. This is really obvious when defending the pick and roll. He's slow to get out and then even slower to get back to his own man. I honestly think that is the main reason his playing time! has been limited and I can't say I blame Carroll at all.

Mmm, definitely the defensive end that's the problem. Obie and Carroll have both said so, and as you say, the evidence is visible there on the court. He's not inherently slow physically though, which was part of why I was wondering about it being an IQ/learning curve issue as much as anything.

Kim