RE: Bob Ryan being stupid again

At 02:40 PM 3/24/2004, you wrote:
White guys can jump.

Britten Johnson

....Rex Chapman...Tom Chambers...former Slam-Dunk Champion Brent Barry...heck, even Chris Mihm!

See, Sean, we proved them wrong!

Tongue-in-cheek comments aside, both you and I know that we're talking about outliers in a population which has a lower vertical jump mean than this other population to which most NBA players belong. The problem, as usual, is that most people don't understand probability distributions and tend to deal in absolutes and concrete examples. Just because the sample mean of the Chinese player heights in the NBA is higher than that of the Croatian players, it doesn't mean that Chinese are a taller folk than Croatians.

Kestas