Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Isiah tells team: Play 4 quarters

Hee Haw, Egghead. Isiah feeling the pressure. Isiah bankrupted the future to
win now to make the local media happy.  If they can't make the playoffs now in
the weak East and no options for growth potential on the team and capped out
and no free agents to trade, it looks very bleak for the long term. Egghead,
you got to watch the games if you are going to comment. You just can't pick up
the media drivil and the supposed "inside" scoop. Sure hope you didn't get
hurt in the stock market crash with that kind of thinking. Of course, there is
still minimum contract Vin Baker who is going to save the team. Any other last
hopes out there?

Two paths to attempted success, to GMs. Danny bucks the local media pressure
to win now and protects the team from long term damage. Isiah buckles to local
media and only looks short term. Danny takes the short term hit from the
media while Isiah takes the bows for borrowing from the future to pay for the
present, limited success. Night and Day and we aren't talking Brevin and Todd. The
"insiders" aren't interested about what the Celtics will be in 2006 because
that is boring. They need something to talk about now and winning games now. I
know which horse I got picked....

DJessen33

<<       New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
       'Sorry' sight as Isiah
       tells team: Play 4 quarters
       Mike Lupica
       Wednesday, March 17th, 2004

       They had looked nothing like a playoff team for so much of this game
against the Washington Wizards. Against a lottery team, the Knicks had played
like a lottery team. There were times in the second quarter and in the fourth
quarter when they did not play with enough effort, play as if this game, even
against Washington, mattered as much as it did.
       And that is unacceptable, especially with a team that has so much to
prove to its fans, and itself. The Cavaliers had won and the Heat was winning
and the 76ers were ahead of the Memphis Grizzlies in Memphis. Even in the CYO
half of the Eastern Conference, nobody is going to hand the Knicks anything.
And they can't keep trying to give games away with both hands.

       They ended up getting the game. Then they heard about what Isiah
Thomas thought of their effort last night, or lack thereof. They all heard it good
from the boss, who made it clear once again that this is his show. Who expects
you to compete the whole way, the way he did, not just at the end.

       The locker room door stayed shut a long time, long past the league
rules about such things, and when Isiah came through the double doors afterward,
and was told about the league rules about opening the locker room door, he
said, "I'm sorry."

       After what was a sorry effort from the Knicks until the last minute of
regulation and all five minutes of the overtime.

       Isiah Thomas was asked then if he spoke to the team.

       "I said hello to the team," he said. It sounded sarcastic. Then he
apologized again and walked away.

       Tim Thomas said Isiah Thomas spoke what he felt. Moochie Norris said
they were all told they had to do better. They do. They had played like a
lottery team. Against a lottery team. But at least they won the game. They didn't
beat the Celtics last week. They didn't beat the 76ers last week. They could
have won them both. Should have won them both. They didn't blow this one, give
them that. First the Knicks heard it from Lenny Wilkens at halftime in
Milwaukee. This time they heard it from the guy who runs the team.

       "I told Lenny," Isiah said before this game, "that whatever he said in
Milwaukee, keep saying it."

       After the Knicks won, 114-110, in overtime, Wilkens said, "We have to
learn to play hard the whole game."

       "We just acted like we could show up and expect it to happen," Wilkens
said.

       The Knicks must be getting a little better. They are now discussed as
losers even when they win. They get taken to the principal's office.

       And they did win. They were down five points to the Wizards with 46
seconds left. But then Tim Thomas (32 points), one of their few stars last
night, made a huge three and Stephon Marbury got to the line and made two free
throws. The Knicks were still alive. Trying to come back in the last minute
against the Wizards the way they had come all the way back from 26points against the
Bucks. Get the game, no matter who it's against.

       Last week against the Celtics, a bad loss against another bad team,
even if that team has been hot lately, Marbury stood outside and settled for a
three-pointer when the Knicks were down two and the Knicks lost. And lost to
the 76ers later in the week, another one they should have had. Now they had the
ball with 6.2 seconds left, and it came to Marbury because the game has to be
in his hands in a moment like this, even if he had blown that game against the
Celtics.

       He went to the basket this time. He went to the basket and drew the
defense to him and threw up a floater that hit the rim and went high in the air
and seemed as if it would go down. It did not. But there was Nazr Mohammed,
Mohammed with his hops and his athleticism - the kind of player Isiah Thomas
wants - to tip it home right before the buzzer. And then they got hot in
overtime, even with Allan Houston long out of this game with a bruised quadriceps
muscle.

       The Knicks seemed ready to put the Wizards away in the second quarter.
You can put bad teams away that early. The Wizards are a bad team and had
lost six in a row before last night. The Knicks went 21-4 on them and got a
10-point lead.

       A lot of it had to do with Michael Sweetney, in ways that do not show
up in the box score. He played interior defense when nobody else was doing
that for the Knicks. He switched when nobody else was switching. He didn't seem
afraid to put a body on Brendan Haywood and Kwame Brown. He played the game
hard, with passion. On a night when the Knicks only did that occasionally.

       "When I got here, I couldn't understand why (Sweetney) was in street
clothes," Isiah Thomas was saying at courtside.

       But then the Wizards made a big run at the end of the half and got the
lead and what looked like a trap game for the Knicks all the way had turned
into that exactly, all the way to the end. And then into the locker room.

       "It wasn't just (Isiah)," Moochie Norris said. "As a team we said
we've got to do better the rest of the way."

       The Knicks came back last night. They did it against a bad team. It
would have been the worst loss of the whole season. At least they showed some
character at the end. Marbury, who ended up with 16points and 14 assists, went
to the basket this time. Tim Thomas and Nazr Mohammed showed you why Isiah got
them.

       They don't ask you how you won at this time of year. They just ask you
if you won. Even if you do get called to the principal's office afterward.  >>