Limited Role Players

Egg wrote:

<<Curious - who would you say we now have (aside from Pierce) who is not
a limited role player?   Davis, Welsch, Atkins, Hunter ????????>>

I'd say Davis isn't a limited role player.  (Your sources may have
convinced you that Ricky is evil off the court, but all I see on the court
is a guy who may be undisciplined but works his tail off at both ends of
the floor and contributes considerably more than he hurts.)

I'd say Welsch isn't a limited role player -- he can shoot well (though
he's not a #1 option), pass well (though he's not a point guard -- at
least not yet), and defend well.  I can't wait until he's 100% healthy.  I
don't know whether Jiri will ever be an All-Star, but I'd say he's already
a factor.

Based on his performance this year I'd have to make the argument that Mark
Blount isn't a limited role player.  I don't know whether he's worth the
investment of a long-term MLE (or higher) contract - especially if that
retards KP's development (I have no problem picking Blount over Mihm -- I
share your view that Mihm is clueless).  He still has concentration
problems, but the rebounding numbers and the improved scoring are starting
to convince me that he's a decent NBA center in an era where decent NBA
centers don't grow on trees.

Jury (not Juri, or Jiri) is out on Hunter.  At the moment, he is a limited
role player whose individual and team defensive liabilities are apparent
(I think his +/- over the last few games is pretty poor).  That said, I
think he should be getting more playing time.  It's not as though the Cs
have any future with McCarty at the 4.

Like some other members of this list, I look at Marcus Banks and see
Mookie Blaylock.  Since the Cs didn't trade Buck Williams to get him, I
don't see that as a bad thing.

By the way, does anyone know whether Joe Gallagher's job description is
limited to sitting behind the Celtics' bench and staring into space with a
glum expression on his face?  He seems to have mastered that task, so
perhaps they should give him some more responsibility.

Michael Gooen