From: Berry, Mark S [mailto:berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: March 15, 2004 1:12 PM
To: celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: It's only a matter of time before Iverson departs

Here's the thing about Pierce/Peja. If Pierce eliminates all his bad
habits, you have Peja. Neither is a great ball-handler or passer. Peja
doesn't try to be. Pierce does. Does that mean Pierce is better at it? I
don't think so. I think it's a credit to Peja that he plays within
himself. Neither is a good defender. Pierce is a better rebounder, but
that doesn't erase all the bad habits he has that Peja doesn't. Peja is
a much more efficient scorer who has evolved into more than just a
shooter.

On Yao ... He's making the leap right before our eyes. He's not timid.
He's the only guy in the league who doesn't back down to Shaq. If you're
going to include LeBron, you have to include Yao.

Finally, Jermaine O'Neal ... He's probably closer to the Pierce group
than anyone else. He still lacks a go-to move. I only put him in that
top 11 because he's a big guy who can dominate a game. Those guys always
have more value and more of an impact on a game than a swingman.

As for Iverson, he had one dream season in a perfect convergence in the
Eastern Conference. He's a great talent, but everything has to be
tailored to him. Shouldn't a truly elite player make the other players
better? Instead, Philly has spent eight years trying to piece together a
team to fit Iverson. It was the same small-minded thinking that had
overtaken the Celtics. "Forget about talent, we want limited role
players who won't take shots/touches from our 'stars'." I hate that kind
of approach. You do that when you have Shaq or Duncan, not when you have
Pierce, Walker or Iverson. And to top it off, Iverson is aging and
starting to break down.

I love debating this stuff with you Josh. You're as nuts about it as I
am.

Mark

P.S. I agree about Shaq/Duncan/Kobe. They're the cream of the crop. I
think more of Garnett than you do, but I still think Shaq/Duncan/Kobe
are the best.