Re: Walton still trippin

I can't be the only one reading this and saying "what the ^*#% is he talking about and what the ^*$^ does it have to do with the Celtics."

From: Snoopy the Celtics Beagle <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Walton still trippin
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:56:04 -0500

Memo to ESPN;

Lighten up, guys; and pay attention, the past is "in" again.  I remember
someone's rather cutting commentary on the educational ignorance of today's
crop of schoolkids, saying "to them, history is what they had for
breakfast". why not let Walton wax euphoric about the Deadheads?

OK, a little moderation wouldn't hurt, but witness what's come back to
public vogue in music alone:  Peter Paul & Mary just
released--simultaneously--a DVD retrospective, a CD boxed set and a new
album; Harry Chapin's daughter Jen just released her second album to
positive reviews (and there's been a revival of Harry's music with the
greater release of his old albums on CD); the only major complaint of the
recent Simon & Garfunkel tour was that it wasn't a world tour--and Paul's
new album will soon be released to join Art's recent release; Pete Seeger
just put out a new album last year at an age where most people are quite
content to enjoy retirement with legendary status.

Then consider movies--the DVD market is surprisingly popular not for the
release of brand new movies, but for the release of the great classics of
years past ranging from Gone With the Wind to Raiders of the Lost
Ark.  Likewise there's been a virtual explosion of beloved television shows
making their way onto DVD, and the sales show that people are quite willing
to pay hefty prices to indulge their nostalgia.  If you don't believe me,
check out the recommended price for the first seventeen-episode season of
"Star Trek: Voyager".

Books have always held a link to their pasts.  Robert B. Parker started
writing the Spenser mystery novels back in theearly 1970's and is still
going strong.  Ask any science fiction about Issac Asimov, and they'll be
able to at least mention a few of his great works, even if they weren't
personal fans of "hard SF".  Not to mention Sherlock Holmes, which has been
around since the turn of the LAST century.

Oh yes, and sports history--let's all ask ourselves how often we insist on
comparing modern player "A" to historical player "B".  How many more times
will we hear someone proclaimed the next Larry Bird, Bill Russell,
etc.?  Listen here, as inevitably, when a new coach for the C's is
mentioned, how often we turn to former Celtics players.  So far as I can
tell, on those occasions when baseball conversation isn't focused on
steroids, gambling, or corks, they all talk about statistics and records
dating back over 100 years.

I'll take a knowledgeable person over an idiot any day.  So Walton lives in
the past a bit. Big Fat Hairy Deal.  At least he's able to string a
sentence together, even if the references do stretch back a few
decades--something a number of other on screen commentators--are you
listening, Mike Tirico?--seem unable to do.  Speaking for myself, I'm tired
of these self-styled "experts" whose only obvious area of expertise is
being willing and able to insult the Celtics.  I am sick of hearing people
treat their anchor desk like the throne of St. Peter, and God and ESPN
forbid we dare disagree with any of them.

Is Walton hyperbolic, reference-laden and occasionally not on the same
planet as the rest of us?

Well, yes.  Did it ever occur to you that some of us fans are tired of the
"hip-hop" method of sports reporting, and the "analysis" that makes the
phrase "going out on a limb" verboten?  Look over here, schmucks.  some of
us are over the age of eighteen, have brains bigger than a walnut and an
attention span greater than the people who think MTV was the pinnacle of
musical entertainment.  We are, by and large, the people who can actually
afford to pay the whopping prices charged to carry the NBA League Pass,
never mind the cost of actually attending a game now and again.

And to some of us, "Wasn't That a Time" had meaning.

To Bill Walton--we're cool, just ease up a bit. No one can zone 24/7 and sometimes the slowpokes need to catch up, so Lay Back and Be Cool.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral. http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx