Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] "It's like a painful death,"-Globe

Egghead, who could comment to this? You tie your own noose....

DJessen33

<<  < But he (Isiah) really isn't responsible for creating the 90MM payroll,
 even if he may not have reduced it a great deal and may have slightly
 increased it. > - Kim

 No doubt about it, Isiah inherited one of the poorest managed teams
 in the NBA. The Knicks 2002-03 payroll was a whooping $93.5 mill
 including outrageous salaries for players like Houston and McDyess,
 who pre-injury, could and should have been the premier PF in the EC.

 As you know, team salary figures differ slightly depending on the
 source, mid-year trades, etc., but near as I can ascertain, our least
 favorite GM has added much more suitable players to the Knicks mix
 while reducing their present payroll to $89 mill.

 Meanwhile, despite all efforts to reduce our bottom line, the Celtsb
 2002-03 team salary of $52.4 mill has grown this season to just over
 $60 mill, not factoring in the final disposition of the Baker case which
 from the get-go was probably destined to end in a negotiated buyout.

 The fab four - Wolkowyski, Mikki Moore, Grant Long, and Bimbo Coles -
 have basically been replaced by our three rooks and Mike James
 (prior to his trade).   Our other two FA signings, Blount and McCarty,
 were with us the previous season, and the remaining bodies were
 all brought in via trades.

 Due to his abbreviated season, the LaFrentz contract has been a waste as
 has Stewartbs $4.5 mill.   Chris Mill's rocking chair money ($6.6 mill) was
 mostly covered by insurance, and in trading for and then waiving Lindsey
 Hunter (whom Detroit paid us to take but was shrewd enough to then pick
 him right back up at the minimum), our owners gained $3 mill in pocket
 cash along with chopping $3 mill (which could have been sustained through
 a re-sign or sign-and-trade) off our salary possibilities for next season.
 The Hunter savings can now be used to appease Celt nation with a
 $5 mill FA mid-level exception.   Hello Brent Barry; they wouldn't take
 Ricky for you but we're gonna git you anyway.

 Meanwhile, we have oh so quietly reduced our roster to 13 players
 (12 plus LaFrentz).   Isn't such a thin roster what we were all screaming
 about back in the good old frugal Gaston days?

 Egg >>