Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Blount will cost.-Globe

At 01:59 PM 3/4/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>At 08:23 AM 3/4/2004, you wrote:
>>At 07:52 AM 3/4/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>> >IMHO I don't see Mihm ever getting 20/20 under any circumstances.
>>
>>Seriously, though, did you envision Blount - he of the 5ppg, 4 rpg career
>>average,  ever getting 20/20 under any circumstances? And I'm not alking
>>about eyesight.
>>Kestas
>
>Seriously though, come on Kestas, you're usually a bit more fair than that.
>Citing his weak career stats to justify a 'never' is unfair when everyone
>in the world, including Blount, will tell you that this has been a break
>out season with stats well above the career averages.

My point, which I guess was too subtly made, was that if Blount, with his
5.3ppg, 4rpg career averages, can have a 20/20 game, so can Mihm, with his
7 ppg, 5.1 rpg career averages - achieved in fewer minutes, no less. In
fact, it would be easy to show mathematically that Mihm had a higher
probability of having a 20/20 game than Blount does. The breakout season
and the improved stats improve the probability somewhat, but it's still a
highly improbable event for guys of Blount's and Mihm's caliber (in fact,
for most anybody, except the best big guys in the game). The fact that
Blount's had one says nothing about the lilkelihood of such an event - for
him or for Mih; it had to be a "perfect storm" situation, as it will
probably have to be for Mihm.

A simple analogy  - if I make a shot while blindfolded from 80 feet  in my
251st attempt (that's how many games Blount's played in the NBA), that does
not make me a better shooter than a guy who hasn't made one in 241 attempts
(Mihm's career games), especially if the guy has a better shooting
percentage from a more customary distance.
Kestas