Re: Ainge WEEI Comments Today

I don't think that's a given.  I vaguely recall something to the effect of
Red saying that Wilt Chamberlain would not have made a good Celtic player
despite his talent.  The best Celtic teams have always been TEAMS, first
and foremost.  Red realized that the right mix of players--even those
ostensibly less talented than some other players--can often make for a
championship team where a bad mix of "superstars" will fail.

Previously, under the O'Brien tenure, Iverson would have been a miserable
fit--in order to play the defense, he would have had to commit to
practicing, something he's never been willing to do.

Tracy McGrady, on the other paw, is in much the same position with Orlando
as Pierce is with Boston--he's the only thing really holding the Magic
together.  If McGrady could come to Boston, I think he would be a good fit,
so long as he doesn't have to carry the load alone.  The problem with
getting him is that the Magic--if they're smart--realize that without him
they're going to set a new NBA record for losses in a season.  T-Mac is
going to be fought over, and if I were running the team--and let's take a
moment to give thanks that I'm NOT--I'd trade my draft picks to Orlando in
return for McGrady and challenge the current team to get the job done.

At 01:10 PM 3/4/2004, Josh Ozersky wrote:

>Any GM that doesn't want Alan Iverson or Tracy McGrady
>on their team should have their head examined.  I guarantee
>you Red Auerbach would have jumped at the chance.
>
>Josh
>
> > From Jorge Pereira - Jpereira@xxxxxxxx

>the
> > lottery draft or another superstar is a requirement to achieve his vision.
> > First, the Kings don't have that. They have a lot of above average players
>but
> > they don't have a Duncan or Shaq. (Of course, they haven't won anything
>either.)
> > But the Kings never finished in the lottery to gain a player. (Please
>don't
> > start an arguement of how good you think Webber, Pedja or Bibby are. That
> > weren't that good when the Kings traded for them and none of the them are
>top 10
> > Players.>>>>>
> > ------
> > I think Ainge has a little more breathing room now and is able to say some
>of the things people want to hear (superstar) , without losing track of what
>he really wants.  There is a confusion of terms here.  Impact player does
>not necessarily mean an established "everybody's all-star", a la McReady or
>Iverson which no one in their right mind would want in this team.  One of
>those is enough, 2 is a crowd.  Besides, Jordan and Pippen may not have won
>in today's basketball.  Ainge's design may be more "today" and more durable,
>dynastic.  An impact player, by that I think he means someone young and
>upandcoming (a la Josh Howard) who would fit well and improve a good thing.)
> >
> > Maybe you should be Ainge's spokesman.  That's the most clear explanation
>of his vision and its progress I've heard.
> >
> > Jorge

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle