Re: Ange WEEI Comments Today

I was also troubled by Danny's comments today. I have been very supportive of
Danny throughout, both because of his vision and because of his moves which
he done well on 90% of them. I thought the plan was to make the Cs like the
Kings. Yes, it takes a little bit of luck in any business. However, we are
already well on our way in achieving that goal of building to being like the Kings.
We are already the youngest team in the Eastern conference. We have athletes,
scorers, guys who can dribble the ball at every position. We have gone to
uptempo basketball.You just now have to let them mature and with that little bit
of luck, see what you have after a few years. You add the five draft picks as
wild cards to find a couple more guys that are keepers and sign another guy
with the MLE.  Maybe you can get a veteran or two to sign on for cheap in a
couple of years that likes the style of play and the chance for a championship.
That should be it.

But now, Danny is seems to be implying that getting an impact player in the
lottery draft or another superstar is a requirement to achieve his vision.
First, the Kings don't have that. They have a lot of above average players but
they don't have a Duncan or Shaq. (Of course, they haven't won anything either.)
But the Kings never finished in the lottery to gain a player. (Please don't
start an arguement of how good you think Webber, Pedja or Bibby are. That
weren't that good when the Kings traded for them and none of the them are top 10
players.)

Second, two guys that NBAdraft.net has listed as the 7 and 8 players are Ben
Gordan and J Nelson. Both guys would have come out last year if the Cs would
have guaranteed to take them at 16. Therefore, you can get lottery players at
16 but you need another year to develop them. Sure the odds are better because
you are taking a risk that they don't turn out the way you expected. However,
you can still get the players, they will just be more raw and a little more
risky. You just have to have a coach committed to long term and  developing them.

So Danny threw me a little curveball here. Now maybe some of his words got
lost in translation. Danny is the most assessible GM I have ever seen. Maybe he
needs to go scouting for awhile and stay away from the mike. Or maybe he is
tired of all the flak and now wants to make it look like he was planning to hit
the lottery this year. Danny, we know we lost Vin, Raef, had a coaching change
and are changing a style of play. But I think we have hit bottom. We have
turned the corner. We don't want to become the Bulls.  Build through power, not
through weakness. Getting a 7-8 player over a 15 player just reduces the risk.
Forget the lottery. Push these guys through the playoffs and you might be
surprised what you find. There isn't anyone I'm afraid this year in the East
except for the Pacers. You shouldn't see them until the ECF. You don't see West
trying to get the Griz into lottery and you could argue them don't have anymore
talent or a better chance in the West than we have. You might find you may not
need Ben Gordan....

DJessen33

<< Danny Ainge was on WEEI's Big Show with Glenn Manboobs Ordway,
 Steve Longsnapper DeOssie and Mike Where Are The Drugs Adams
 Here's a summary:

 BS: Danny How are you?