Re: fronting defense

At 05:51 PM 1/28/2004, gene kirkpatrick wrote:
Also, as I recall it, we only fronted a big man when we faced a Shaq or a Yao, and then it was occasional so as to confuse him.

I think your memory is at fault here, Gene. That's not to say they always did it successfully or effectively, but they did at least attempt front with regularity.

When fronting is a constant, it frustrates the very basis of defense--you stay between your man and the goal. Violating the first principle of defense became the key to what Dick Harter described as "O'Briens defense." That's hard to overcome.

Well no, that's first principal of one school of defense. Another school believes that if you keep your man from even touching the ball (i.e. what the fronting was supposed to accomplish), his relationship to the goal becomes irrelevant, especially as it's easier to front than block when there is a significant physical superiority on offense.

Kim