Re: One more thing

At 04:24 PM 1/28/2004, Cecil wrote:
This post is a great segue into something I almost posted last night but I
thought I should sleep on it.

Is there any evidence that Paul Pierce will embrace a running game?  I love
what he can do offensively...and he has been rebounding very well, not that
we would have a chance if he didn't since the rotations were so bizarre at
times.  But a commitment to the fastbreaking style many of us yearn for will
require Paul to expend a great deal more energy than I have seen out of him
recently.

I think back to the playoff games vs Jersey the past few years.  Often
times, when he got a rebound, he wanted to bring it up himself in a manner
that none of us would term fastbreaking.  Even this year, we have seen him
get a rebound and resist the outlet pass to one of the guards at times.

I am wondering what the rest of you think of this.  I'm not bashing the
guy...just wondering if that is the style he is willing to play.

What you're really asking is if he's willing to let the ball out of his hands enough for that to happen. Because even if he WOULD lead a fast break himself, he's just not a good enough ball handler or decision maker that you really want that to happen very often. FWIW, yes I think he can be convinced to give it up and take advantage of less physical pounding in return for more running if it's done right, we have what he can be made to see as reasonably reliable alternatives, and he's still sure he's going to get his shots. I think current behavior comes more from a belief in how much better he is than his teammates vs being an inherent control freak/power struggle I MUST control every play regardless type. Whether that WILL happen is another question. And probably not this season with any regularity, because it will take some time for him to adjust anyway, and he's not going to have enough faith in whoever is running the point yet... As for NJ, that's a special case. He's got to get the testosterone under control and play smarter rather than trying to beat them by proving he's da man and letting them get to him. As they are quite efficient at doing by now.

Kim