Re: If they play a game and nobody watches, does it count?

--- You wrote:
Bleah to ABC.

They had an opportunity to score lots of cookie points with the fans
today.  The Celtics play the Nets at 1pm today--as it happens, during a
break in New England's football frenzy.  But they'd scheduled the Mavericks
and the Kings at 1pm.
--- end of quote ---

The problem is not what they scheduled (you could do a lot worse than
Kings-Mavericks); the problem is that they are allowed to shut down any other
NBA telecast.  This is yet another reminder that we live in a corporacracy,
where the wishes of a giant corporation almost always trump the wishes of
ordinary people. Hey, why not allow ABC to shut down all other public
entertainment activities while they're at it - wouldn't EVERYONE in the country
be paying rapt attention to ABCs' telecast if there was nothing else going on?

Oh well, at least I exercised my right not to watch ABC's offerings - that much
is still allowed, though it may outlawed in the next TV contract or the next
noose-tightening of the Patriot Act.  And if we were forced to miss a game, a
pasting at the hands of the Nets is probably less painful to miss than most
games. Looking at the box score, what jumps out at me is 17 rebounds - COMBINED
- by the starting  lineup, 3-15 shooting and 7 TOs by Pierce, and 23
three-pointers. On the positive side, Hunter's 9 rebounds in 19 minutes and
Davis's 26 and 5 steals are to see. I fully expected BDO (Brain-Dead-Obie) to
bench Hunter for showing up the coach and/or violating some obscure Obie/Harter
defense principle (e.g., "leave the best shooter open to triple-team some stiff
30 feet from the basket").  Must've been extended garbage time, for Obie's
lover McCarty only played 33 minutes instead of his usual 40+ of late.

So, how long is Ainge going to allow BDO to thumb his nose at him?

Kestas