Re: Bill Simmons Unloads On Ainge, Celtics Writers, Baker, Walker Trade

Eggcentric@xxxxxxx wrote:
< He's got a point about the Celtics coverage, though. However, I think it's not that they don't pay attention, it's that they don't report or publicly question what they see. Too "embedded", I guess. > - Kestas

Dead on once again, Kestas. The fan has every right to know about these matters ... even before they are officially confirmed. The local <embeddees should not have avoided bringing up the suspected truth behind Baker's recent floor play. They should have been right in there filing juicy column after column, piquing fan interest with reputation-destroying speculation and innuendo. I mean, despite Baker and the BT denying the allegations, why wait for the test results to come back positive or the suspension to be announced before feeling free to <''fess up?<'' Boring, boring reporting ... too little too late. Who cares about after the fact(s) coverage? And Mike Gorman and Tommy should have given us a few hints, too, maybe with something like: <''Tommy, will you give Vinny a Tommy point if he can stop drinking again.<''

Sounding a little defensive here, Egg, are we? I'm not saying they should turn into the yellow press, but don't you think the embeddees have been toeing the management line a wee bit too painstakingly? There hasn't been serious questioning of the Celtics management and coaching AT THE TIME WHEN IT WAS RELEVANT since Jimmy Myers and Michael Holley (who, to be sure, were pursuing their own, very questionable, agendas).
Well, unless you count P-May's carrying the flag for Obie in the fight against Danny the Snake (that's how I interpreted his Dec. 17th column for ESPN, because his bashing the Davis trade is nearly impossible to justify on any other grounds), or the post-hoc thrashing of Pitino.

But anyway, back to the drinking thing. This is the second strike, correct? I'll thus draw the brilliant, inobvious conclusion that there must've been a first. They, the embeddees, knew, because you knew (unless you are clairvoyant or incredibly lucky). There was also the matter of Baker's play. Everybody was wondering what was going on. Yet the first article about this appeared the morning AFTER the official Celtics press release. If that's not the sign of an "embedded", corporate-mouthpiece media, I don't know what is. There's no serious journalism going on within the Celtics press corps. They may be capable, but, for the most part, unwilling.
Kestas