Re: Mihm

Kim wrote:
> Perception is a wierd thing. Pierce, Ewill, Blount, Battie have
> all accomplished it this season alone, with some doing it more
> than once. Even Baker did once, and maybe some others.

I think John's point was that Mihm did it in 23 minutes (and in 18 min. on Monday).

> I'm being
> lazy about details because I haven't fed all the boxscores into
> my database (I can give you more specifics in a day or so if you
> really want them) Pierce leads the team in double digit rebound
> games with at least 5 this season - I keep saying that for all
> his other faults that drive me crazy, he is a very underrated
> rebounder.

Underrated by whom? I think the whole league knows that Pierce's an excellent rebounder.

> That and his ballhandling weaknesses are why IMO he
> really is a SF not a SG.

Of course he's an SF. I don't know why they list him as a SG.

> Mihm - fairly mobile but otherwise offensively very limited

Compared to whom? Blount? McCarty? Stewart? Battie? The only big guys who are better offensively on the Celtics are Baker and LaFrentz. Which effectively means that he's our best big man offensive option.

> although one HUGE virtue: understands the idea of taking
> advantage of his size to power dunk whenever possible, something
> I wish he would get through to our other big men. No pitty pat
> open hoops for Chris.

Well, I understand the virtue of it as well, but that doesn't mean I can execute it. Blount, Baker, and, to some extent, McCarty (for all his supposed athleticism) are not very good leapers, at least not from fairly stationary, two-footed position. That's part of the reason they're not great rebounders. That's also why they rarely power slam it the way Chris does, with the ball coming from way above the rim. Their dunks are more of the get-it-over-the-rim variety. Blount always crouches to get the most out of his jump, which is why he gets stripped and blocked more than he should. Mihm just goes straight up and flushes with great power. It's really unusual that our big man with the best hops is a white guy.

> Don't forget the foul problems though,
> which weren't totally unexpected and will continue to be an issue
> with more minutes. That being said, I agree he should start at
> 4/5 and suspect that he will for a bit. He and Blount as a
> starting tandem up front to some degree offset each other's
> limitations, since Blount has a jump shot on offense and Mihm
> adds toughness.

Yeah, Mihm was one of the main reasons for our great start and strong first half. Then, of course, Obie applied a generous dose of McCarthy and our offensive game and rebounding went south. Partly, he had to, because of Mihm's foul trouble, but something tells me he wasn't terriblly upset to play McCarty.

Speaking Obie, it's like he's playing a game with Ainge, openly daring Ainge to fire him, then pulling back a little by using a more sensible lineup and style, then going back to pure Obieball, over and over.
Kestas

"Gaston, Wallace, Walker, McCarty, Obie"
--Mark Berry