Re: Mihm

At 11:14 AM 1/8/2004, Kestutis Kveraga wrote:
Kim wrote:
> Perception is a wierd thing. Pierce, Ewill, Blount, Battie have
> all accomplished it this season alone, with some doing it more
> than once. Even Baker did once, and maybe some others.

I think John's point was that Mihm did it in 23 minutes (and in 18 min. on Monday).

Then you'd be wrong. What he actually said was that he couldn't remember the last time someone did it in a full game.

> Mihm - fairly mobile but otherwise offensively very limited

Compared to whom? Blount? McCarty? Stewart? Battie? The only big guys who are better offensively on the Celtics are Baker and LaFrentz. Which effectively means that he's our best big man offensive option.

Are you saying he's NOT limited? I didn't say compared to anyone, that's your twisting what I said into something different.
That being said, Blount has a more reliable jump shot and from what he showed at the beginning of the season can get real assists, not something I've seen evidence of with Mihm (hint: offense isn't just shooting). We're not talking offensive behemouths in either case, but then that's not what I claimed anyway.

> although one HUGE virtue: understands the idea of taking
> advantage of his size to power dunk whenever possible, something
> I wish he would get through to our other big men. No pitty pat
> open hoops for Chris.

Well, I understand the virtue of it as well, but that doesn't mean I can execute it.

Wow. Thank you for explaining that. I never could have figured it out on my own..

Blount, Baker, and, to some extent, McCarty (for all his supposed athleticism) are not very good leapers, at least not from fairly stationary, two-footed position. That's part of the reason they're not great rebounders. That's also why they rarely power slam it the way Chris does, with the ball coming from way above the rim. Their dunks are more of the get-it-over-the-rim variety. Blount always crouches to get the most out of his jump, which is why he gets stripped and blocked more than he should. Mihm just goes straight up and flushes with great power. It's really unusual that our big man with the best hops is a white guy.

I agree to some point but also believe there is a fundamental difference in their approach to using what they do have. True with the rebounding too, which has always had a lot more to do with timing and effort and boxing out than leaping or height per se. And yes, that last point has occurred to me already. Along with noting that this is the first time I can recall the Cs making deals that increased the number of white players on the team that have not lead to outraged cries of racism all over the place.
Kim