Re: Marbury = Walker

***

Yet Obie DOES seem to be building for the future by dumping Baker???  Figures he isn't part of the fast, lean Celtic team of the future?  He can't have it both ways.  Try to win with this team and play Baker and Mihm and Davis more, OR try to build for the future with Banks, Hunter & Perkins.
***

Well, thanks to the stupidity of Wallace and Papile, Baker is part of the future here until his contract runs out. I do not see the need for them to be playing Blount or Walter much at all. I would like to see:

PG  Banks backed up by Jiri or James
SG  Davis backed up by James or Jiri
SF  Pierce backed up by Jiri and Jones
PF  Baker backed up by Hunter and Jones and occasionally Walter
C   Mihm backed up by Perkins and Blount with Blount and Perkins sharing time.

That leaves a 9 man rotation of Banks, Davis, Pierce, Baker, Mihm with Jiri, James, Jones, and Perkins.

As for Baker, in the games I have seen this year (most of them), when they go into him in the post he scores at a very high rate. He is never going to be a great rebounder or defensive player, but given enough playing time he should be good for 14-16 a game and 6-8 rebounds. Definately not worth his money, but perhaps an expansion team might take a flyer on him or someone else could get a case of the Papile-Wallace syndrome and take him on. However, on a team that guns perimiter jumpers and threes all the time he will lost in the wilderness.

Douglas342@xxxxxxx wrote:

    Agree 100%, but if you're trying to mold the team for the future (next year, next three years) don't you start to mold it a bit now by, as was said, playing the kids a bit more?  I am particularly curious about the lack of PT for Hunter and Perkins, but can't really say that Banks isn't getting enough when he's getting his 10-15 per night.
    Yet Obie DOES seem to be building for the future by dumping Baker???  Figures he isn't part of the fast, lean Celtic team of the future?  He can't have it both ways.  Try to win with this team and play Baker and Mihm and Davis more, OR try to build for the future with Banks, Hunter & Perkins.
    So while I don't think this year is super-important (and have already predicted 52 wins next year), I'd like to see movement towards building that team.  Instead, Obie seems to be shelving the future and resurrecting the past.
    And if they are trying to build for the future, why is Obie being comfortable with his job security important?  Why not bring in the "coach of the future" now?
    Note the absence of mention of Walter.