playing time and the rooks

It appears we've had a triple standard applied to our rooks and their playing time.  Since Banks was heralded as the "most NBA ready" of the draft's pgs, and also because he was the sole backup, he got decent playing time.  Hunter, arguably the best rebounder on the squad from the summer league forward, slid to the end of the depth chart and has played little; he's not ready we were told.  Perkins is simply "really not ready."

So, I want to know how we know that Hunter is now ready.  If he's "Barkleyesque" now, what was he in December?  Did he learn "all the little things" (these are Carroll's quotes) in practice, or did he already possess the ability at 6' 7" to play against taller opponents?  I think we were just dumb.  Another quote that I can't find went like this:  we were all surprised.  What?  The list wasn't surprised.  How can those who watch him play every day be surprised?  Well.

So, I contend that we should throw Perkins into the mix because--who knows?  he may be able to develop even better with a little real competition.  He may be able to discover what he needs to work on if he goes against half a dozen good big men.  Only 20 games left; what's holding us back but our stubbornness?  He ain't gonna get hurt out there.  And it won't demoralize him; he feels that by being on the bench 99% of the time.

Cheers.  Looking forward to watching a game tonight for the second time this year.  Gene