Re: Confusion on defense

Agree with much you say here, I have been frustrated from day one that after new front court personnel started to arrive that a good coach should have immediately simplified the defense by playing more match up zone and man to man, that Harter's defense was something that could not be taught while playing games. Mihm, Bount and Hunter are capable of playing matcup zone or man and boxing out.

I also agree with those who believe that Danny will not achieve what he wants as long as Pitino, Obie, Harter and now Carrol coaching philosophies and loyalties are making game decisions.

Where is Hunter? Perkins? If I see Waltah for anymore than 8 mins per game at PF from now on I am going throw the TV out the windom and become a Monk. The three man rotation at PF/C should be Mihm, Hunter, Blount in that order, with Perkins in when Foul trouble occurs. Waltah should do short duty at SF.

I cant believe Carrol being so dense as to not play the Rookies while  playing Waltah extended mins, that along with still using Harters system. If he is losing at Danny's Behest there would be better and more defendable ways (playing and developing rookies at expense of winning) If I am any GM watching to see if Carrol has what it takes to run my squad.... No way, his stubburness is killing any professional aspirations he might be harboring. The players he is being loyal to are killing him by lying down and playing out the string, If he doesnt see that by now then what can you say.

As I said about three weeks ago as the team heads down the stretch during difficult circumstances that you will see true keepers (Mihm, Pierce?, Banks, Welsch, Davis) surprising is the fall off in Blounts play. I am giving Pierce a pass as his attitude seems to suck at this moment. He is still giving effort but his body language screams "I've had it with this mess of a season" I think he just needs time to access his role on a changing team, something that he did not have a off-season to prepare for, and is still trying to figure out, all without a true coach running the team (Thanks Obie).

At any rate if the draft were to happen today what would we be (season being reduced to this) 6th? with a realistic chance to bottom out at 3-4th...wooohooo! OK Ray who is available at the 3-6th positions?

My hope is if I am going to have to watch the rest of the season at least play Hunter, Perkins, and to a lesser degree Jones to see what we need to draft or trade for in the offseason. Also play Pierce and Ricky together often to see if they can complement each other on the court or do we need to trade Davis or Pierce? for equal value on a player that does compliment one of the two.

I'd say I am still on the bandwagon but the wagon seems reduced to a tricycle with bad wheels.  Go Celts!

Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:
This disconnect between what Danny says and what the coaching does is a killer. Carroll admits they don't practice the defense as much. PP says they are throwing the Obie defensive concepts out the window. It still looks like the Harter defense to me. Is it that the players are still running the Harter defense even though they are just supposed to be running a matchup zone? Are there a few other tweaks on the defense that are different from the Harter defense that Carroll has put in that is making it confusing for the veterans like PP, Blount and Walter who are used to Harter V1.0?

Like I have said before, Carroll should make it simple and just go to a man to man. I mean, somehow Seattle was able to run both a man-to-man and a zone last night. Why is it so foreign for us to run a man to man once in awhile? Also, he should always have a Mihm or a Hunter at power forward.

This game pretty much takes the cake for me. This defense and not playing a person as a traditional power forward, I can no longer stand to watch. If I lived in Boston, I wouldn't pay one cent for a ticket to a game until this changed. I mean, it is too disgusting. What are doing? Trashing the Celtic name to get a better draft pick in ML fashion? That is what John Saunders said last night on ESPN. If this Harter defense, version 2.0, it isn't working either. And not playing Hunter is atrocious....

DJessen33