Re: Don't get the detractors

--- lapdoggy <lapdoggy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 02:56  PM, Ryan W
> wrote:
>
> > Then you obviously haven't been with too many
> > companies.  Often, when older employees are being
> > 'downsized' or their positions consolidated, they
> are
> > asked to stay on for 6 months to a year so as to
> train
> > the newer, cheaper employees and to maintain
> company
> > continuity.  While some older employees, feeling
> they
> > aren't shown enough respect, balk at this
> opportunity
> > to make a few more dollars and maintain the level
> of
> > proficiency they achieved in whatever department
> they
> > are leaving and helped to create, most do stay on.
>
> I have been with a lot of companies. Maybe just not
> in the same
> industry as you. I think we are talking apples and
> oranges here. It's
> one thing to work for a company, like my father did
> for 35 years, and
> suddenly be told that you've got a choice of either
> early retirement
> with a package or you can stick around and train the
> new guys. This is
> the NBA we are talking about. A "company" where in
> the East, the coach
> with the longest tenure is sitting on the bench in
> Atlanta. Who is it
> that Danny and management would want Obie to train
> for those last few
> months? Do you think the team would play harder for
> him knowing that he
> was quitting on them at the end of the season?
> I'm not sure how you can say Obie would be able to
> keep his emotional
> investment in the team. The fact that he quit
> basically disqualifies
> that assessment.

Honestly, Lapdoggy, this argument (if we wanna call it
that) is getting boring.  Here's my last word:
continuity.  O'Brien could have indoctrinated the new
guys and the rookies into the idea of playing hard
every night, of subjugating the ego for the benefit of
the team and of intensity....all the things that have
gone by the wayside since he left.  He wasn't
necessarily imparting any basketball knowledge (and I
mean EVER); instead he was teaching them how to be
professionals; that was his greatest gift to this team
the past 3 years.

As for whether they would play hard for him once it
was known that he was leaving:  that's a good
question.  Of course, we're assuming that the players
would be told.  That's not certain.  The only ones
that really need to know are Danny and the owners.  So
maybe the players are left in the dark.  But, even if
they weren't, the one thing that O'Brien always got
from his players was respect; they always played hard
and I bet as long as he was there--even if the players
knew he was leaving--they would have continued to do
so (though I bet if he had stayed, it would have never
came out that he was leaving until he did finally
leave).  Secondly, playing sports is the ultimate
exercise in denying tomorrow.  Carpe Diem.  One day at
a time.  That's how O'Brien coached.  It's how he
lived.  It wouldn't have been hard for him to
concentrate on the game directly in front of him
knowing this season was his last (he approached every
game as if it was the only game in the world).  In
fact, it probably would have given him a clarity of
thought and purpose, much like that found in old age
when one gets towards the end (back me up
Snoopy....just kidding *smile*).  The fact that he was
rousted from that slumber of "tomorrow-denying" and
was able to step back and re-evaluate the situation
only speaks to the gravity of the situation and
Ainge's mismanagement of it.

Ryan