Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Don't get the detractors

At 05:47 PM 2/22/2004, Josh Ozersky wrote:
I understand why Danny left Carroll in charge.

Josh- I wasn't questioning that, if that's unclear (since you were replying to me). Danny himself has said he wants a veteran coach with some experience and the options right now are limited at best, with likely better ones in the offseason. That veteran coach thing is also why I assumed Carroll got the opportunity over Conner, although I don't think it would have made a significant difference in either case.

But it's rudderless on the court, at least in part because Danny has removed what leadership we had and traded looking exclusively to talent. Which is OK in limited doses but not as a lifestyle. And while that wouldn't matter as much if there was stablity elsewhere, the effect of that is magnified by all the other changes, from the extreme overall turnover in personnel to the mixed/multiple messages coming out from the top if reports of Danny and owners interference have any validity. And players' likely perception that Obie was driven away, no matter what the rights and wrongs of that situation are.

 He wants
the new coach to come in with a fresh start, his own training
camp, his own authority and message, and even the best coach
will be squandered by coming in mid-season.  It would be good
to get a high lottery pick, to say the least.

Why? Even if you pick well, how many of them make any kind of immediate impact and we're very young and immature as it is. Sorry, but for every you have to build with the lottery knee jerk, there are the two teams in LA proving just how wrong that is. The Clippers who have been in the lottery every year and the Lakers who did it without relying on it. Admittedly other circumstances made this happen for both, but I'm really really really really tired of hearing about a top lottery pick as the answer to all problems. Yes it would be nice to get someone good, but continually relying on that as the answer to all problems creates The Clippers. And is even less likely to address the oncourt leadership issue, at least for a few years.

But I'm thinking that this team needs a Bill Fitch-type leader, a
details guy who the players will despise but respect.   The old guys
are making a comeback:  Hubie Brown and Lenny Wilkins are both
doing a great.  Maybe the Celts could get an old-time coach.  Any
suggestions?  Besides Tommy I mean.

Where on earth did you get the idea that Tommy is/would be my suggestion. I haven't been able to even listen to him broadcast in years, and I'm supposed to back the idea of modern players wanting him as coach, no matter how knowledgeable he is? It's easy to spout a lot of nonsense about how you could have these guys fast breaking in 15 minutes. Yeah, they could run a play. Now run a game. Tommy was a very good coach 20 years ago, as was Fitch. Different eras, different players and one of our most fundamental disagreements is over your apparent belief (based upon your posts) that it's never the players responsibility but always the coach's fault, so I expect our ideas on what is needed are worlds apart anyway. Starting with the fact that I was talking about oncourt leadership.

They need the best of whomever is available as coach. I've no idea who that will be.
Kim