Ricky Davis and Jiri Welsch

As a break from the trade talk, which I love, I thought I'd bring up the
Celts' swingmen.

I am a HUGE Jiri Welsch fan. HUGE. But the time has come to insert Ricky
into the starting lineup and bring Jiri off the bench. Jiri hit the wall
a month ago and is struggling to bust through. Remember, he's basically
a rookie. He's playing big minutes, isn't physically strong, and it's
obvious he's wearing down. It's time for Carroll to make the move to
start Ricky and bring Jiri in for shorter minutes off the bench. I don't
see it as a permanent thing. But down the stretch, it feels like the
right thing to do.

On nights like last night, when Ricky gets it going, he looks like the
best player in the gym. He creates shots with quick one/two dribble
moves and pulls up for beautiful, high, pull-up jumpers. He can clear
himself for a shot anytime he wants. He may have the best mid-range
pull-up jumper since MJ.

Anyway, I'd do it, and I'd use the starting spot as a carrot to get
Ricky to play some defense. Tell him up front that the starting spot
isn't guaranteed. If he doesn't defend, it's back to the bench. It's
clear that starting matters to Ricky. Use that to coax some defense out
of him.

As for Jiri, he just needs a break. He's playing hurt and tired. Now
he's Tommy's preferred whipping boy. What he has done this season has
been incredible. But he needs a break.

Other notes from the game last night:

... Blount couldn't buy a basket. He really hurt the Celts. He was
getting good, close looks, but he couldn't convert anything.

... Mihm only had two fouls but still only played 18 minutes. He's just
not going to get much PT under this staff.

... The defense was terrible. Tommy almost smacked Mike one time when
Gorman mentioned the bad defense. Tommy said something like "You keep
talking about defense. I'm telling you, you win with OFFENSE!" I agree
to an extent, but this Celtics team can't score 130 points, and that's
what it would have taken last night. The defense was awful. The Harter
defense had run its course, but now they look like they don't have any
plan at all. Simple back door cuts and screens gave the Kings layups all
night long.

... The point guards continue to be awful. In 48 minutes last night,
they combined for 8 points and 4 assists, and they missed guys running
the floor countless times. Paging Brent Barry ...

... I know a lot of people consider Mike Bibby overpaid with his max
contract. Not me. What a great point guard.

Mark