Re: the undermining man

< I would think that Ainge was undermined by the coach, not vice-versa. >
 - Gene

You have brought up a really interesting subject here, Gene.  I can only
equate the Ainge/Obie situation to when a Zebra misses the first punch
but blows the whistle on the guy who retaliates.

Your analysis of Obie's stubborn streak is right on the money.  I never
was a big fan of Obie the bench coach but have come to sympathize
with Obie the man as I would with anyone placed in his position.

Every story has a moral if only we can find it. Ainge never said he didn't
approve of good D and Obie never said he didn't approve of up-tempo.
I think Obie attempted to gradually switch to the up-tempo game (which
if you recall he sort of attempted in the first few games of the season).
But with defense always being the pearl of his oyster and so many new
players (three rooks, James, Jones, LaFrentz, Welsch) to blend into the
Harter style, he quickly realized that he did not yet have the horses to
fully carry out the up-tempo style (according to many we still don't)
and that his efforts would be better spent on firmly indoctrinating the
new players into the Harter D while letting the shots fall where they
may or may not.