the undermining man

I appreciate the product of inside information and admit that I have none of it as regards the Celtics, so feel free to disabuse me of my foolish notions about this.

When Ainge retained O'Brien, I was mildly disappointed but thought that it might be a little abrupt to jetison the coach after being on the job for only a few weeks. Then I read that Ainge and O'Brien were on the same page regarding a team that moved the ball, utilized the fast break and wanted more athletic players.  Good enough.  From that premise, I thought it was the coach, not the GM, that broke the spirit of their agreement.  We did not run, even after trading away A. Walker who had openly challenged any new style offense.  We continued to play three ball, and if Heinsohn is right, did not practice offense much at all.

I would think that Ainge was undermined by the coach, not vice-versa.  Plus, what's the deal with a "pro" coach who can't teach the fast-break and some sort of motion offense?  I could do that and my experience is with girls' teams.  I'm left feeling that O'Brien was the most stubborn as well as incompetent of coaches--albeit in a league where he has lots of company.  Now, I feel better.  Cheers, Gene